Sunday, September 28, 2008

Paul, Kyle and Somalian pirates

Good morning. I didn't list any particular favourite movies in my biography but I would be remiss not to mention "Butch Cassisdy and the Sundance Kid" as being in my top ten. I was 19 when I first saw this flick and it was one of those movies that stays with you, in no small way thanks to the chemistry between Newman and Redford. That by the way worked almost as well when they got together to do "The Sting" in 1973. Another fine person gone...And it looks like plans for the upcoming week to head east may be put on hold thanks to tropical storm Kyle. Marie, Rich and I are planning to drive down to Maine to pick up our cabin (being constructed in Kingfield, Maine) and bring it across the border. How come building and delivering the same thing costs twice as much here in Canada? I even ordered tires for my truck to be delivered to a garage in Farmington, Maine who will install and balance them for $500 less than it would cost me here in Ottawa! And while I am ranting about prices how about two lobster dinners, complete with the fixings (corn-on-the-cob, salad, potatoes, all the butter you can eat and a drink for $37! Take that Red Lobster! Hopefully Kyle will blow through by next weekend and we can enjoy some of that fine Maine hospitality. Mainers have got to be some of the friendliest, helpful and honest people I have ever met. And speaking of Maritimers let's not forget those serving on the Canadian destroyer HMCS Ville de Quebec off the coast of Somalia. Pirates there are making shipping in the area unsafe and yesterday I hear they captured a Russian ship laden with T72 tanks and munitions. Imagine those in the hands of the warlords! Good hunting Ville de Quebec! On that note I hope eveyone's weekend is going well and, no matter where you are, enjoying life. Come back and visit again. gws