Sunday, December 16, 2012

Time For a Change America



I try not to comment on things that upset me when I listen to the news but after what happened in Connecticut on Friday I realize I can no longer sit back and remain quiet. I feel the pain of those parents as I look back at my own children, now grown, when they were six years old and my grandchildren who have to grow up in this sad world and I try to imagine how I would feel if this was my child taken away from me in such a terrible way.
The way I understand it the when the 2nd amendment was written the United States was a rural, scarcely populated wilderness and people had to depend on flint lock muskets to bring home food to their table. I'm sure it was never the intention of the founding fathers of your nation to have a gun for every man, woman and child.  And I know they never looked into the future and foresaw the invention of semi automatic weapons with magazines that can hold 100 rounds of ammunition. The militia more than 250 years ago was nothing more than a citizens army to protect the country from a foreign enemy and not a license to kill innocent children.
I really wonder how free your nation is if one has to fear for his or her life, or their children's, when they go to a public place. And now their are twenty children who went off to school on Friday, a week before Christmas, their small bodies shattered and their lives snuffed out, lying in a morticians freezer - the price you Americans must again pay for a warped interpretation of the 2nd amendment and of the self serving politicians who care more about getting elected and staying in office.
Unless you are willing to stand up to the NRA all the outrage, anger, bitterness and tears are useless and nothing will change. So the question becomes - do you, the Congress, the Senate and the White House have that courage? gws