Thursday, November 5, 2009

Life Drawing

Another beautiful week here! Thought I would post some of the work Marie and I have been doing in our Life Drawing class together every Wednesday evening. I found my own skills were declining a bit after graduating from OSA last year and because I hadn't kept up my drawing I felt it was time to get into a studio setting. I have been painting at the expense of my drawing which I still prefer. Since we began I am astonished at the progress Marie has made in just a few short months with her sketches, both the quick warm ups and the longer poses. She obviously has a hidden talent that was just itching to get out! Her work is loose and fresh when you compare it to my more methodical and detailed pieces and I just love them! Judge for yourself. The first seven of her pieces I chose (so you can see the progression) are from the first month of class in September -
















Now look at Marie's drawings from October and early November, just a few weeks later! What you have here is an artist who is suddenly very comfortable and confident and who renders the models with life and real expression!

























And here are some examples of my work from the same time. I find the initial sketching of the first five or six minutes the best for me and I think it shows in my shorter drawings of 10-15 minutes. When the model sits for longer (30-50 minutes)I find I labour over the piece and often "overwork" it. I sketch mostly in graphite pencil but have done some here in charcoal and conte -





















Hope you enjoyed looking at these and stay tuned for more! Have a great weekend and don't forget to honour our fallen heroes on the 11th. gws