Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Anne Murray





I had the opportunity to meet Anne Murray yesterday at Chapters in Ottawa, in town for the signing of her book All of Me. I waited almost 3 hours in line for a minute of her time - we chatted briefly about Nova Scotia before I was ushered along! Marie and I saw her last concert at the NAC here in November 2008. One of my favourite songs she did in 1983 was titled A Little Good News. I think the words still ring true today:





I rolled out this morning...kids had the morning news show on

Bryant Gumbel was talking about the fighting in Lebanon.

Some senator was squawking about the bad economy

It's gonna get worse you see we need a change in policy
There's a local paper rolled up in a rubber band

One more sad story's one more than I can stand

Just once, how I'd like to see the headline say

Not much to print today can't find nothing bad to say
Because...
Nobody robbed a liquor store on the lower part of town

Nobody OD'd, nobody burned a single building down

Nobody fired a shot in anger...nobody had to die in vain

We sure could use a little good news today
I'll come home this evening...I'll bet that the news will be the same

Somebody takes a hostage...somebody steals a plane

How I wanna hear the anchor man talk about a county fair

And how we cleaned up the air...how everybody learned to care
Whoa, tell me...
Nobody was assassinated in the whole Third World today

And in the streets of Ireland all the children had to do was play

And everybody loves everybody in the good old USA

We sure could use a little good news today.


Thanks Anne for 40 great years! gws