Tuesday, September 23, 2014

A Walk Through the Woods (part 2)

After finishing the walkway through the woods up to the hours it was time to continue these steps up to the main entrance of the house. As the sand that had been put down during the construction of the  foundation was constantly washing away down the slope during heavy rains and/or being tracked into the house I decided it was time to rethink the walk up from the parking lot by the cabin. Firstly I had to sink a retaining wall at the foot of the entranceway using treated 6x6 lumber, then terrace the slope at the same time I was building up the steps with 4x4s and crushed rock. I had a plan in my mind that was fairly simple but decided to let my imagination deviate from a straight line to a curved walk with lots of angles that would eventually join up with the house and the path around the patio. I needed to build a drain at the very top of the wall, anchor the first row with rebar and use 12 inch nails to secure it all together. Three loads of crushed rock were needed to level everything out at the top of the driveway as well as fill in the areas between the steps. I plan to plant grass in the steeper parts where I have terraced and put in a tree at the triangle intersection. Next I will be replacing the temporary stairs with steel stringers and 60 inch steps. But for now no more sand on the floors and a easier, safer walk up to the house! gws


measuring level for 6x6s

building retaining wall

placing drain behind retaining wall

T-section to add stability to wall

View of wall at house

filling slope with rock

Another 10 steps to go

view from deck, with drainage area for roof runoff


Time to terrace


“You could start at a path leading nowhere more fantastic than from your own front steps... and from there you could go… well, anywhere at all.” 
    Stephen King, It