Thursday, July 26, 2012

Our Retirement Home Part Ten (Preparing Radiant Floors)

The past few weeks, except for the 10 day period when Marie and I were in Florida to be with my family and attend Mother's memorial service, I have been putting a beating on my knees and back installing 1300 feet of PEX - tubing made from crosslinked high density polyethylene polymer - which will carry the 30 odd gallons of antifreeze that will heat our floors. The stuff is a bitch to work with as it has its own built in memory and tends to retain the shape of the roll it comes in and I was always getting tangled up in it. Sort of reminded me of a really large red slinky! I attached the PEX directly onto the plywood on the main floor and mezzanine with clamps and screws but used plastic tie downs in the basement to secure it onto the wire mesh that had been laid over 4 inches of rigid foam insulation. On top of this will be poured four inches of cement - 1and 1\2 inches on the other floors. But before the contractors come to do this next month I have to pressurize the system to 50 psi and let it sit overnight - if it maintains this psi there are no leaks or punctures in the circuits. More on this later....gws



Me laying PEX on the mezzanine

Mezzanine, one circuit, one zone

Basement before PEX laid - note rigid insulation and mesh

Finished floor awaiting cement pour