Thursday, September 22, 2011

South for a week..part 2

Waterlily, Land O' Lakes, Florida

,,,continued...Driving back and forth from Brooksville to Land O' Lakes everyday can get rather monotonous but in my little red Camry rental I usually do it in under 40 minutes. I look forward to seeing mum everyday and I know she is pleased to see me when I show up at Dee's doorstep every morning. Yesterday though I stopped off on Lake Lindsey road to see how dad was doing and was pleased, yet surprised, he was doing as well as could be expected by himself. He was eating well, keeping the place clean, inside and out, and even managing to drive into town most nights for supper. After my visit with mum I returned to Brooksville as Shawn and Lauren were coming over with Brenna to enjoy a duck with rice and orange sauce dinner that Lyn and I had prepared.

Shawn,Brenna and Lauren
But today Lyn and I drove down to the Groves in Lof L together, first stopping off to visit the horse farm where she takes dressage lessons, somewhere out in the country and seemingly in the middle of nowhere. I was introduced to all the inhabitants of the barn before leaving, arriving at Dee's around 11am to welcome Ryan who had just flown in from Salt Lake City. I hadn't seen him for few years, not since Marie and I had gone camping out west in the old
van, returning via Utah. He had just returned from three months in Barrow, Alaska and finding the heat of the south as uncomfortable as me.

Me & Marco, the Andalusian stallion

Me and Ryan

Lyn and Ryan
While mum was with her occupational therapist (yesterday her physical therapist had come over and spent an hour with her) we sat outside to hear Ryan's tales from the far north. As we were looking out at the water a few feet away a small alligator showed his head, looking rather hungry and inviting us to come out and feed him some dogfood! Somewhere the mother 'gator may have been lurking so we kept our feet safely on the bank!

Baby 'gator, Dee's backyard
Tyler and trumpet flower
Tomorrow the gang is going to get together for a bbq one last time before I return to Montreal. If I have time I will update with pictures.  Right now the thunder is crashing and booming outside my window, the dogs are howling and barking and supper is ready...to be continued...  gws