Monday, February 21, 2011

Skiing at Chantecler


This Saturday Phil and Fer, Marie and I drove north on highway 15 to Ski Chantecler, about an hour from Montreal, on the road to Mt Tremblant. It is a great spot in the Laurentians for beginners as well as intermediate and more advanced levels of skiers and snowboarders. There is night skiing there as well and a bistro ( packed with kids and rather noisy while we were there ) where you can relax with a beer or munchies after a day on the slopes.

Phil getting ready to snowboard

For Fernanda and I it would be an auspicious occasion - her first time skiing, my first time snowboarding! Usually this time of year Chantecler would have incredible ski conditions with large amounts of snow but it had rained the past two days and the temperatures had got up into the high 40s so we were confronted with hard packed snow with a layer of ice beneath it! The temperature was perfect though when we got there - about -6 with no wind! Phil was eager to show off his snowboarding skills to me and for the past year has encouraged me to try it. He first snowboarded in the Rockies a few years ago and figured old Dad could do these little hills! I rented a board and boots, Fer and Marie skis and boots, while Phil had his own gear. He and Marie gave Fer basic instructions and followed her through the first few hours as she tried to keep her balance and learn the basic skills on the beginner`s slope. Marie hadn´t skied since 1997 and was a little rusty but was able to show Fer how easy it was and by the end of the day they were both able to attempt a fairly long run down the mountain! At the same time Phil was showing me how to maintain my balance and use my knees to change directions on the same slope where little kids were putting me to shame. Thankfully there was a 'rolling carpet' lift which we used to get back up the hill. I somehow managed to master the basic moves and after a few tumbles was confident enough to get on the big ski lift and head up the mountain! Naturally I took a major fall near the bottom, going into some trees ( my first aerial!)that lined the runs and whacked my butt pretty badly but all in all it was a great experience and, except for a briuse or two and aching muscles, I could do this again! Who says you can´t teach an old dog a new trick or two! 

Me on my rented snowboard


Marie in her new ski outfit

Me at the bottom of the beginner's hill

the rolling carpet at the right of the beginners slope


Phil & Fer


Fer, first time on skis!

Marie outside Bistro

Me, Ski Chantecler

First run, no broken bones!



Me coming down fast, run 41, Ski Chantecler!!
 
Marie in front of run sign
 

Marie at the bottom of Run 41

It cost Marie and I about $100 for the ski lift tickets, rentals and food, so I thought it was a pretty inexpensive way to spend a day and hopefully we can all do it again before spring. There are a few days of cold weather ahead but looks like it will be warming up this weekend when we plan to take a drive out to the cabin. Tomorrow might be a good time to use my spa coupons and get that Swedish massage I so badly need!  gws