Thursday, February 17, 2011

Kitchen renovation...continued

       Good morning! For those who might have wondered I can say I am almost done our kitchen updates here in the duplex. With the help of Phil last week (before going to Florida) I finished the electrical behind the countertop, installing two new outlets and a Broan range hood over the stove. Drilling behind the wall and through the plaster and lathe was accomplished with an extra long (36inches) drill bit and a length of string to pull the wire through. Once that was done it was time for a new backsplash so Marie and I finally decided on tile - I like to work with it and for the small area to be done was quite inexpensive and looks good! Hardest part is the cutting naturally but I have an old 7 inch wet tile saw that I picked up for less than $75 new and have a done quite a bit of cutting with it. Just make sure the blade is in good shape and take your time. I think you'll agree the tile ( not only on the backsplash but the floor as well ) really improves the look of the old kitchen!
                       
before tiling
                                         
after tiling
               Next two projects involve finishing the main entranceway by installing a new lockset and, once the weather warms up, putting in a new frame and outside door on the back balcony. This weekend Phil, Fer, Marie and I are off skiing/snowboarding. Pictures to follow! Till then, have a great Friday! gws