Thursday, September 30, 2010

Duplex Rénovations ...sigh


    Renovations continue here at the duplex here in Montreal, painting trim and preparing for the new windows and doors arriving next week, hopefully. The garden is now grass (I laid sod down for the big bbq last week) - maybe one more cut before digging out the rake and collecting leaves that are already dropping. After much grunt work and language unbecoming to a person of my status I can proudly announce the installation of my new oak banister (handrail to those who speak New English) in my entranceway! After drilling numerous holes to find the studs - not all 16 inches to centre! - I attached the hangers, added the banister and voila! Here is what the stairway used to look like a few months ago looking down from the hallway, showing the old painted handrail, rubber inserts on the steps and over 80 years of general wear and tear ( I had already painted the walls in this photo)....

and now the new carpeted stairway, looking up from outdoors!




          I also painted a sky and clouds on the wall that shows on the other side of the bathroom window (actually the wall of the skylight on the roof that extends down past our bathroom to the main floor bathroom below). When the sun shines it gives an impression of the window looking outside (click for a better view)...


Lara and Chad are now in their new home on Prud'homme just a few blocks away and were successful in renting their old duplex on Victoria Ave. Lara acted as agent through her agency Adresz. If you are new in Montreal check her out at http://www.adresz.com/ for all your housing needs.


Before I close I just want to wish my Mom in Brooksville, Florida all the very best after her recent operation. I think of her every day and wish I could be closer to comfort her in her pain as she once did for me, when she wiped away the tears, held me close and loved me. Thank you, Mother dear     gws