Saturday, March 17, 2018

Our Retirement Home Part Forty-Eight (Basement Ceiling)






 







After a lot of hard work and cursing the basement ceiling is pretty well completed. We started this project this past summer and, after a terrific rain storm in the late fall that ruined some driwall sections I had just put up and then had to be replaced, the end result is satisfying. Each section of driwall had to be drilled out for pot lights (15), that Marie installed, as well as holes for the smoke alarm, two speakers and a vent for the VenMar air exchange. As you know I dislike taping and mudding over my head so I decided to cover the driwall edges with 3 1/2  x 1/2 inch wood slats to resemble ceiling beams, criss-crossing them the length and width of the whole basement. I beat them up a bit and gouged the sides to make them look old, sanded and stained them a dark brown (Rez Woodstain Grain de Cafe), countersunk the screw holes and hid them with wood plugs. The most frustrating part of the whole project was moving the bookcases, record storage cases and furniture around to make room for the ladder and driwall lifter, the one tool that saved my back. It was a nice feeling to realize after we finished this final ceiling that I wouldnt have to work over my head again! The next task is putting up the wall board and durock before bringing in all the stone veneer left over from the exrerior walls from outside to dry. Then I can start the area where the TV and propane stove will be. This has to be done before the floor is tiled, the final stage in finishing the basement! Hopefully all of this will be done before April, my goal. I"m certainly hoping I won't look like the April Fool should I not complete this by then....gws