Sunday, May 4, 2014

Salisbury - London - Montreal (Day 29)


Our last night in Salisbury we went out to a French restaurant - why not? - and then back to our wee loft with a bottle of Spanish wine and a box of  Belgian chocolates as we packed for an early train to London. After leaving Salisbury we changed trains at Basingstoke, got on the wrong coach to Reading but made it off just in time, changed again in Reading for Hayes and Harlington but due to a strike ended up waiting for a double-decker to get us to terminal 3 at Heathrow! And all this time dragging our by now heavy baggage behind us, my arms stretching just a bit more at each stop. I don't think any of my long sleeved shirts will ever fit me again. We had a few hours to wait at Heathrow when we finally got there and a good thing too - we had to walk nearly a mile from the main entrance to our gate. Why do they always put Air Canada at the very end of any terminal I have ever been in? Our flight was on time - wow that's a first for AC - and oddly uneventful for a 6 hour drive in a steel tube decorated in blue - to calm me Marie said. What's with the blue maple leaf though? The food was good, the movies plentiful but the stewardesses were older than me. What gives there? Montreal hadn't changed much when we got back - still grimy and grim this time, without the snow. It was good to be back home though, safe and feeling better than when I left, but boy did miss the green fields of France and England! We promised ourselves we would return one day, and not just for a month! But before we forget Marie and I would like to thank all those who made our journey back to my childhood and forward into her girlhood dreams so enjoyable - and please stay in touch!  gws


waiting in Salisbury



I swear we stopped at all the ones with a circle.....

how the heck can you still be smiling?

some cool dude waiting for the 140 to Heathrow

Heathrow at last, flight ME4507 at 1500, gate 43 somewhere in the next county

our Airbus flying over Newfoundice ...better not be anything  like that in Montreal!
Home at last...and a rainbow to welcome me!

'Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world'.
Gustave Flaubert