Thursday, January 23, 2014

Reality Check!


0742 am, our indoor-outdoor thermometer

Seems another polar vortex has descended upon us here on the mountain. Looking at last year's calendar I see this is the norm for the third week of January here. Last night the temperature went down to -28C (-18F) and will be as cold tonight. Since we came back from our two weeks in Mexico, Marie and I have been going out for a half hour or so walk before breakfast but this is a bit too much...


snowing Sunday...time to go for a walk...











Other than ensuring my bird feeders are full, there is enough fireplace wood up by the front door to get us through the next 24 hours and the steps are ice free I don't spend too much time outside when it is this cold. Besides I am keeping busy laying tile in the master bathroom. I am taking my time and doing this more slowly than I usually do as the tiles are 24x12 and heavy. I laid down Schluter - Ditra, an uncoupling membrane that prevents cracking of the tiles if the floor shifts, over the concrete floor first, then the tile over the Ditra. More pictures to come as I progress...gws