Friday, April 12, 2013

Our Retirement Home Part Twenty-Three (Main Ceiling and Fan)


The past two weeks Marie and I have been busy installing our ceiling fan and continuing to put up the wood panels from the peak down and in the front wall. For me it has been a endless cycle of measuring, cutting, staining and nailing, while Marie pushes and pulls the scaffolding around for me as I go back and forth. We purchased four wheels to go the bottom of the scaffold legs last time we were in Rona's and these have been a great assist in moving it to whatever spot I am working on. The ceiling fan, a Nextek DC powered fan, is finally up and waiting for the blades to be screwed on. Marie did all the electrical, installing the 12-24 volt speed controller and put the fan up herself - tomorrow we try it. She has become quite the little DIYer and feels quite comfortable tackling any new challenge. After many cuts with my new Dremel tool I built a little wooden cover over the plastic bracket it hangs from to match the ceiling and it looks quite good I think. After all this is done we are going to have our four day break and try to relax when we head back to the city later this month. Hopefully spring will have finally shown it's face when we return! gws


Typical sight in the mezzanine

Marie splicing wires for the fan


Installing fan bracket onto roof frame

Running wiring for the fan

almost done!

Fan awaiting the five blades

Detail of wall and ceiling