Monday, April 11, 2011

Spring Renovations

    No matter how long the winter, spring is sure to follow and this past week, with an improvement in the weather, I decided it was time get on with some overdue renovations to the duplex., As Phil is presently updating his bathroom I took the opportunity to open up the old exhaust fan hole in our bathroom and reopen a hole in the roof to allow venting from both upstairs and downstairs. At the same time I had the roofers install new shingles on the cornice overlooking the front of the building. The old shingles were completely shot, shedding pieces constantly onto the balcony and filling up the gutter and the yard below. We now have to run the electrical and install the fans, a job which involves climbing up again on the roof to connect the flexible vent pipe.

 

Putting down the asphalt around the wooden vent frame
  
<> 
<> 
Another view of our roof with skylight over bathroom
  
vent hole in my bathroom, one foot below roof

Phil`s bathroom roof, vent at left

New cornice above my balcony
   This past weekend I had the carpenter who did some dri-walling for me in the dining room come over to help me put in two new steel doors at the rear of the duplex, one leading out to my back balcony and the other going out to Phil's deck and backyard. As this old building is no longer square we had a few problems getting the doorframes level but after two days we succeeded and the change in the rear entranceway is amazing. Phil installed a Weiser powerbolt deadbolt and he and Fer love the added security and light which he now has in the stairwell. But pictures tell the story so without further ado....

 

Before - upstairs back door


 
Before - downstairs back door

After - downstairs back door!

After - upstairs back door!

Just a matter of putting on some trim, in and out, and we are ready for summer bbq-ing! Next projects are to finish the bathrooms, repoint the brick in the front and do some minor brick work in the back. But right now the garden is calling me and I have some flowers to plant!... Merci pour votre visite - à bientôt!  gws