Sunday, March 28, 2010

In Loving Memory of My Grandson Patrick

My heart is heavy with grief as I write, for what should have been a glorious celebration this week is now one of sorrow and profound sadness. Marie and I, and Cesar and Rosalia, lost our beautiful grandson Patrick on the 19th and words cannot describe how we feel. I will always cherish the moment and how I felt as I held him for the first and last time, knowing then that all the dreams and aspirations I so dearly wished to share with him, my first grandson, would never come to pass. Our sorrow is surely nothing compared to that of Phil and Fernanda, yet we too struggle as much to understand why this had to happen. The past eleven days have been a blur of emotions for us, but with the love and support of our families here and abroad to draw on, the caring and generosity of the Montreal General and the Royal Victoria Hospital, as well as the beautiful service held in St Patrick's Basilica, we have all come through together. Goodbye dear sweet Patrick. How I miss you already. If all the tears I have shed for you could build a stairway I'd walk right up to Heaven and bring you home again. I will always be, your loving Grandpa, Gary.



(Eulogy written by Marie)

To my parents, Phil and Fernanda
March 26, 2010

In my very short life, I loved you, my parents.
Mama and Daddy you were always there for me, and from the very beginning I felt your overwhelming love. I heard you say that all my grandparents, my aunts and uncles, and many others were overjoyed to hear of me, so I felt so very happy.
Every time you went shopping, or organized my room I felt your anticipation and your trepidation. I also felt your gentleness when you played with my feet, when I was kicking, and when you talked to me. I did not get the chance to see daylight, but I felt your love so very strongly.
When I was born in body and you saw me, your eyes looking at me so intensely, I really wish I could have opened my eyes to look deeply into yours. It was not meant to be, and I am so sorry because I know, Mama and Daddy, that I would have had the best parents in the whole world.
I leave you but a short glimpse of what I might have looked like and an idea of my energy and love of life as you felt me flutter about your belly, Mama, the playground of my short life.
As I look over you, Mama and Daddy, and wait to meet you again, someday. I will stay in your heart and your mind forever.
I will never forget you,
your son, Patrick



A reading from the holy Gospel according to Mark -

People were bringing little children to Him in order that He might touch them; and the disciples spoke sternly to them. But when Jesus saw this, He was indignant and said to them, "Let the little children come to Me; do not stop them; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of God belongs. Truly I tell you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a litle child will never enter it." And he took them up in His arms, laid His hands on them, and blessed them. (Mark 10: 13-16)

gws