Sunday, May 10, 2009

Christopher Plummer


Good morning! I had the opportunity to meet Christopher Plummer at Chapters in Ottawa yesterday where he was signing his new book "In Spite of Myself - A Memoir". I only had my cell phone with me so the photos are not great but I enjoyed talking to him for a few minutes as he autographed my copy of the book. My favourite Canadian actor, Mr Plummer is perhaps the finest of the post-World War II period, a Broadway icon and the premier Shakespearean actor to come out of North America in the 20th century. He hardly looked his 80 years, was very amiable after signing books for over an hour and even wished me good health! If you haven't seen him with Sean Connery and Michael Caine in The Man Who Would Be King where he plays Rudyard Kipling better than Rudyard Kipling himself you're in for a treat - "When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains, and the women come out to cut up what remains, jest roll to your rifle and blow out your brains and go to your gawd like a soldier!" Have a great week and hope you gave your mum a hug! gws